Everyone deserves their moment in the sun, but it just so happens that fictional characters get more than their fair share. Presented here for your amusement is a list of the ten most brazenly memorable film entrances that Movie Quibble can think of, right now. Don’t worry, there’s no Darth Vader from A New Hope clichés here.
10. Warrior (2011) – Can Joel Edgerton’s science teacher really beat the undisputed middleweight champion of the world in a fair fight? Judging by Koba’s ring walk, you’d have to say no. Look at his eyes! He just doesn’t care! He has NEVER cared!
9. Nacho Libre (2006) – Hailing from the Church of the Holy Mother worshippers of the sisters of Guadalupe, please welcome… Encarnacion! She’s wise beyond her years, she likes puppies and toast and she’ll have NUN of your funny business.
8. 300 (2006) – Enter eight foot tall king/divinity Xerxes, arms outstretched, stood atop an outrageously ornate portmanteau throne of marble and gold. Remember, this was a time before escalators, so the only moving stair cases available were those of the horizontal, slave propelled variety. Xerxes is majestically omniscient, and can drown his enemies in spittle by merely speaking.
7. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) – No one can open a door like Viggo. He killed a litter of Wargs (plus riders), almost drowned, became the subject of some equine violation and then rode for days without food or sleep to the mighty fortress of Helms Deep. Get this man a beer! And medical attention.
6. Legend (1985) – If you watch Legend at night then you’ll get quite the fright when ‘The Darkness’ steps into the light, but when you see it’s Tim Curry you’ll know it’s alright and go to the bathroom to read your book on the Shi’ite. #Poems #TheyDon’tCallMeRhyme-anGoslingForNothing
5. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) – Neither man nor halfling can truly comprehend Arwen’s radiance – a full dose of her almost holy presence is enough to turn even the stoutest of heart into a simpering worm(tongue). She is life incarnate, and when she leaves all you want is Moria.
4. The Matrix Reloaded (2003) – The Matrix was an elegant slice of epic sci-fi action, but its successors Reloaded and Re-ally Bad didn’t quite match up. Check out this motorbike entrance anyway, Trinity really *crashes* the party. More like Winnity!
3. Rocky IV (1985) – Apollo Creed ft. James Brown – ‘Comin’ to America’. Man-mountain Ivan Drago loves the song too, though him and his comrades made a slight lyrical alteration. Now, it’s called ‘Comin’ to America, to Obliterate Your Puny Yankee Ribcages’. It’s not quite as catchy, but still works.
2. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) – Not an entrance in the traditional sense, but Cameron’s dad’s car revs its way into your very soul the moment you meet it, and with Yello’s ‘Oh Yeah’ in the passenger seat, you can never get tyred of this scene.
1. Airplane (1980) – If you think Leslie Nielson doesn’t like to be called Shirley, wait til’ you say it to this guy. Kramer SMASH!